How Do I Know I Have A Squirrel Infestation?
When squirrels enter your loft space, they are able to cause structural damage by tearing up loft insulation for making their nest. Squirrels can also chew pipes, electric wires which can cause fire or electrical problems.
Archers Pest Control get thousands of call-outs every year, and it is in part due to the damage they are causing and the frustrating noises squirrels make at night. Whether you are considering doing some DIY squirrel pest control, or you are looking to get a professional pest controller to sort out the problem, this guide is for you.
Even though the grey squirrel might look sweet and innocent fluffy creature - the pest management industry knows that there are times when squirrel control is necessary. The grey squirrels are recognised as being in the top 100 worst invasive pests in the world. As we previously mentioned because grey squirrels are invasive it is against the law to re-release a grey squirrel. This means that any person who catches a grey squirrel alive is legally obligated to humanely dispatch it. Unfortunately, grey squirrels are also responsible for the decline in native red squirrel numbers.
Signs Of Grey Squirrel Infestation
- Scratching and rustling sound from your loft or between walls.
- Spotting droppings in the loft – Both squirrel and rat droppings are dark brown or black and which can cause confusion when trying to identify what kind of pest is infesting your loft. Luckily, there is a slight difference between the droppings. Squirrel droppings are softer and with more circular sides.
- The smell of urine in the loft area might indicate the grey squirrel infestation in your London property.
- Spotting lots of other squirrels running around your London property, particularly near your roof or on high fences.
- Nuts and fruits being stolen from bird feeders, or the feeders being knocked over
- Holes in vents or damage to your insulation.