Brown Rat Characteristic and Facts
How Did I Get Rats?
Common Entry Points To Check:
- Cracks in walls - You will need to inspect the exterior of your property and look for potential entry points.
- Vents - Most vents have openings large enough for a rat to squeeze. They can also squeeze in any gaps left around the vent.
- Gaps around windows - Rats can gain access through small gaps and cracks around windows and doors.
Signs of Rat Infestation
If you can hear scratching noises or come across with small dark droppings you could potentially have a rat infestation. Below we have explained a few more signs that can indicate that you have a potential infestation.
- Rub marks-usually the grease and the dirt from their body can leave smudges on skirting boards and other surfaces.
- Footprints- rats can leave footprints in dusty, less-used surfaces.
- Holes chewed through walls- created entry points from the rats.
How Do I Get Rid of Brown/Norway Rats Myself?
What You Can Do
Read the following tips for keeping rat infestations at bay:
- Seal Containers: Garbage cans should have a secure lid and be emptied on a regular basis. Food, including bird seed and pet food, should be kept in sealed containers.
- Block Entryways: Windows and doors should not be left open, particularly overnight when rodents are most active. Any gaps around doors, windows, or chimneys should be closed. Dryer vents should have screen covers, and tree branches touching the home should be trimmed.
- Reduce Food Sources: Clean up fallen birdseed from the base of bird feeders. Make sure pet food is out of reach from Norway rats. Remove all pet feces in your yard.
- Reduce Water Sources: Homeowners should fix plumbing leaks, remove outdoor containers retaining water, and ensure spigots and sprinklers are not dripping.
Archers Rat Control Solution
Our BPCA certified technician will provide an effective and safe rat treatment using industry-leading treatments. The most effective way to get rid of rats and other rodents is with rodenticides. Archers Pest Control have a large selection of rodenticides suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. Your local pest technician will provide you with the most suitable and safe treatment.